Sometimes a lot of coffee machines develop a layer of limescale which might affect the taste and of your freshly brewed coffee or the working of your coffee machine. If you own a Keurig coffee machine and are facing this same issue, then time to descale your coffee machine to fix your coffee machine so that it starts working properly again.
Just follow these simple steps to descale your Keurig coffee maker and you will get your clean coffee machine back in no time.
Things you will need:
- White Vinegar / Keurig Cleaning Solution
- Dry dishtowel
Steps to follow:
- Disassemble the Keurig Coffee machine
The first and foremost step would be to remove the carafe and Keurig k-cups from the coffee machine. Also ensure that you remove the water reservoir, K-cup holder, and other removable parts. Once removed, wash these with warm, soapy water until the limescale gets completely removed.
Once cleaned, dry these parts with the help of a dry dishtowel and keep these parts back inside the coffee machine except for the carafe and the K-cups.
- Create a vinegar/Keurig Cleaning Solution and water mixture
Now, time to create a descaling solution for your coffee machine. Take both white vinegar/Keurig Cleaning Solution and water in equal quantity. Fill the reservoir with this solution. You can also take quantity according to how strong you want your solution to be. But when using Keurig Cleaning Solution, you need to keep these model considerations in mind:
- When cleaning a K 10 Mini Plus and a K130 Brewer, use one-third of the Keurig Cleaning solution in the reservoir and fill the rest of the part with hot water.
- When cleaning other Keurig coffee makers like K-Cup Home Series, K145, K155 Brewers, Vue Brewers, and Rivo Brewers, you need to use the full bottle of cleaning solution and some clean water.
- Clean the machine surface
Clean the outer surface of the coffee machine once with a dry dishtowel and clean all the stains and granules near the K-cup area and other parts. Once done, put back the removable parts and plug in the coffee machine.
- Start the first brew cycle with cleaning solution
Now, start your coffee machine for a brew and collect the cleaning water every time in a mug and throw away the contents after every brewing cycle until the reservoir gets empty. This will ensure that all the limescale gets removed. Make sure you carry out the descaling activity in every few months.
- Start the second brew cycle with water
Once the reservoir gets empty of cleaning solution, fill it completely with cold clean water and start the machine again. Let the machine brew till all the water gets used from the reservoir to ensure that all cleaning solution has been cleaned up and that no residue is left.
- Reassemble the coffee machine
Once the descaling process is completed, time to wipe the whole coffee machine dry with a dry dishtowel. Once that is done, put back the removable parts like carafe and K-cups back in their position and plug back the machine to ready it for a new cup of coffee.